Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Living At The Hyatt


So, I now live at the Hyatt.

Like... I'm not just staying here for a bit, I live here.

My family lives at the Hyatt.







Gosh, where do I even start?

A couple months ago, when The Guy first broached the subject of moving, we already had an idea of what we wanted, and where we wanted it, because we had done all the research a year earlier; when we had then decided not to move.

So, picking back up where we had left off wasn't all that difficult. We looked at a few houses, did a  bunch of other really boring things, yadda, yadda, and eventually we signed a contract on a house that my husband loves, I am hoping to love, and won't be finished building until October. 

But when I asked my dear friend and realtor when the best time to sell our current townhouse would be, she basically said "now."

The area in which we live, has a market that is very dictated by the start and end of school. Housing prices fluctuate greatly with people paying top dollar to get in before school starts, and then not bothering to buy at all until after the school year ends.

The last thing we wanted to do was get stuck owning two houses.

Seemed like a bad idea.

But, living in our for-sale townhouse with a new baby, two kids, one with special needs who needs a rigid routine, and being at the mercy of strangers traipsing in and out of the house all day, every evening, and much of the weekend, pushed all of us over the edge at the speed of light.

We needed to GET OUT.

And just like that, an offer came in.

Which I rejected.

Followed by another one.

That I accepted.

Five months before we will have another house to move into.

So we did the logical thing, and looked for an apartment. And what we quickly came to realize, was that the prices on short term lease rentals, are astronomical; especially when you factor in the cost of having a moving company move you two full times.

Plus, the thought of moving two full times in five months, packing, unpacking, packing, unpacking, dismantling all the furniture, putting together all the furniture, dismantling all the furniture, putting together all the furniture (am I the only one whose house is almost entire furnished by IKEA?), along with canceling utilities, setting up utilities, canceling utilities, setting up utilities, and paying a premium for a short term lease...no. Nope. No.

I love my husband, but that, I am not doing.

BOUNDARY LINES.

So we looked at furnished rentals that are made for short term living and included utilities, so that we wouldn't need to do anything except put our items in storage, move in for a few months, and move out.

But apparently I don't live in an area where that's a common thing. The few places that we could find were either booked, or not in any way conducive to our family (3rd floor walk-up with no elevator or nearby parking, I'm looking at you!!).

Also, as I was learning, our very precious family members, the beloved best friends of The Girl Child — Frank and George ferret — were going to cost us hundreds of dollars in deposits to even bring into short term living, and would still have their own monthly rent fee on top of it.

After looking at all of our options, in a fit of incredibly stressed out mental hysteria (or wine. OK, it was wine), I jokingly suggested to my husband that we should just move into a hotel, where we would have furniture, utilities, cable, wifi, a pool, and a MAID.

"It would be awesome" I joked. "Think about it. Life for me has been so difficult, for so long, and since we got married it's been nothing but chaos what with the wedding, house renovation, pregnancy, baby, The Boy Child's epilepsy, and work. Wouldn't it be amazing to move into a hotel where we could wake up in the morning to a free breakfast that someone else has already made, head over to the pool while someone cleans the 'house,' and just enjoy life a bit? Enjoy being with the kids, and spend our time fawning over The Littlest during these precious first few months?"

He laughed, I laughed, but in the morning the idea had stuck with me.

If you remember, almost a year ago to date, we were displaced in a hotel while our house flood was being dealt with. We were there for almost a month, and the worst part of it, was that we hadn't been prepared to be there.

But what if we were prepared?

Thinking about it some more, I couldn't shake the appealing idea.

I mean, envision it with me for a moment....


Eden At The Plaza

It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Visions of doormen tipping their hats at me as I strode through the doors every morning after my walk, residents  a queen if you will  — OF THE PLAZA.

Or you know, The Holiday Inn. Whatever. I was just in this for the maid.

Doing my due diligence, I decided to call a few local hotels and see what it would cost to stay for a few months. Or as I'd told myself, to get a few numbers, and confirm that it was in fact, a completely crazy idea.

Automated System: How many nights would you like to book for your stay?

Me: 180

Automated System: Did I hear you say that you would like to stay for one night?

Me: No.

Automated System: How many nights would you like to book for your stay?

Me: One Hundred, AND eighty.

Automated System: Did I hear you say that you would like to stay for eight nights?

Me: NO.

Automated System: How many nights would you like to book for your stay?

Me: ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY!!!

Automated System: Please hold while we get someone to assist you.

And then I was SHOCKED when the person assisting me, explained a bunch of stuff that sounded like "and since you would be establishing residency, you would be getting our resident rate which is deeply discounted, including having all of the taxes and hotel fees waived."

But what I mostly heard, was swimming pool, gym, nightly patio fire, grilling station, laundry, free grocery delivery, business center where we would have room to work from 'home,' free transportation, restaurant, bar (Read: WINE), hot breakfast buffet with OMELET BAR, utilities included, MAID, rooms with a full kitchen and multiple closets, no pet fee for small animals (ferrets welcome!), and just a short walk to a playground, trail, and downtown area.








 The market even sells wine!





The biggest shocker then came, when she told me the price, and I repeated her more times than the automated system because I could not believe what she had said.

It wasn't that much more than any of the other places we had looked at. 

The Hyatt's residency rate was even cheaper than the 2 star extended stay hotel that I had called first.

In fact, if we canceled our summer vacation and diversified that among our stay, we would actually save a good deal of money over just getting an apartment. We could even put our gym membership on hold and just use the hotel gym!

So, after visiting not once, but twice to check on everything from confirming that the expansive free breakfast offered gluten and dairy free options, and that "free grocery delivery" didn't included inflated food prices, and making sure that we could actually fit into the suite (being quite surprised that we could), we put almost everything we own except the current season of clothing, our toiletries, baby items, and a couple bins of toys, into storage, and moved into a two bedroom, two bathroom suite, with a pull-out sofa, and a view of the fire pit.











That's right folks, we moved five months of belongings, for a family of five, into a hotel room using only four trips with the luggage cart.

Like I actually live here.

Like my children's bikes are downstairs by the front desk. Like our ferrets are in the bathroom (Yes). Like I have set myself up a workplace in the business center (OK, I keep setting it up and then taking it with me when I leave because I'm pretty sure someone might steal my computer, but I'm still counting it.) Like this is now my mailing address.

We live at the Hyatt.

And please forgive me for not being super excited about building a new house just yet, but I'm taking baby steps here as I wave my old house good-bye, and in turn I'm making a conscious effort to re-frame my sad feelings, with the excitement that comes with living at the Hyatt (because rarely do I get to do fun stuff like this).  

Dudes, there is a maid here.

I know this post makes me sound like a horrible, spoiled, bragging, little brat, and I'm sure half of you hate me, thirty percent of you will start trolling me, and maybe the rest will either not care or genuinely be happy for me, but I've had a lot of hardships in the last few years, so I'm claiming this one as what Frisbee Boy's Mom and I call "a pink sparkly cloud."

Over The Hyatt.

Where I live.

EDEN AT THE HYATT
(With Maid)

I'm enjoying the time spent with my children, and the luxury of focusing my attention on my family for once; Soaking in some of the simpler pleasures in life that I missed out on during all my years of struggle. No ex husband, no domestic violence, no court. No poverty, no food kitchens, no going to bed hungry. No hospital rooms.

Just my kiddos, a much better husband, and time to make memories.





I'm also really, really enjoying the free breakfast. They have everything from sausage, two kinds of eggs, ham, and bacon, waffles, pancakes, and french toast (with toppings!). An oatmeal bar (with toppings!), a Greek yogurt station (with toppings!), bananas foster, cottage cheese, potatoes, cereal, fruit, breads, drinks (even almond milk for my kiddos!), and a woman that stands there, and makes whatever kind of omelet you order.


I love omelets.

The manager even went as far as printing out all the ingredient lists for me so we would know exactly which hot items we could eat, and every morning they place a big pitcher of almond milk out, which allows The Boy Child to snarf down some cereal just like every other little boy there.


But my favorite part... wait until I let you in on the people watching that has been going on over here! It's like dining at a breakfast theatre, and I'm having the time of my life haha.

Oh wait! Speaking of, be back later, some lady just shoved her way into the kitchen in a fit of anger because there was no coffee left.


LADY, THIS IS A CLASSY ESTABLISHMENT.

Ima grab a couple free omelets, move to a table within earshot, and write this shit up for you.

Stay tuned.

And if you could please pray, a member of The Strong family is having a fairly significant surgery on Monday.









43 comments:

  1. I am super jealous. I would love to live in a hotel for a while. I’m in the middle of my wedding is in two weeks and getting my bonus kiddo off to college. Not to mention changing companies which has been put on hold twice. And then there is always my narcissist/ sociopath ex husband who lives to make my life hell every day. So yeah hotel living sounds like a dream. Enjoy it and kiddo time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may be in the same circumstances and I vaguely thought about this also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha...This is brilliantly written. And such a smart idea. And I will definitely keep this in mind should I ever need it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you can come visit lol. There's a lot of guest rooms here!

      Delete
  4. I'm envious but so happy for you because you TOTALLY deserve to have a relaxing summer with your family! Live it up!!! This place sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am truly happy for you! Sounds very relaxing, something that all of you deserve. And blessings sent for the family member having surgery, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I for one, happen to be one of the people genuinely happy for you.... perhaps a little jealous, but happy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eden that sounds like HEAVEN, and if anyone deserves a little slice of heaven, it is YOU and your amazing family. I'm so glad something is going well!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are much, much too kind Carey, thank you!! :)

      Delete
  8. Enjoy! What an awesome way to spend the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello from one of the "GENUINELY HAPPY" for you category people!! :) Plus your baby is beautiful as are your kiddos. ENJOY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We lived in a hotel for several months as a child. We had just moved from another state and my parents were building a house. It was a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did that when we moved from the east coast to the south west and it was very handy and easy. I loved it too but with 2 active kids and a newborn? Yep, totally deserve/need this. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy! Everyone deserves to live a fantasy at least once! I must say, you are living mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gaaaaah, is there any room for me?!! I could be like an au pair of sorts and we could people watch together!!! #lifegoals

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay pink sparkly cloud 🤗
    Prayers for Monday !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I smiled big while reading this in its entirety but the biggest grin, (after the cute baby feet & sweet lashes!), was the people watching! I'm super jelly in a good way :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Toni!!! Yes, THE PEOPLE WATCHING OH MY GOSH!

      More to come!

      Delete
  16. I always wnted to live in the hotel suit

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're my hero 😉

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woo Hoo! Way to go! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can you get hotel loyalty points too?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting idea. Never crossed my boring creative mind. Just wondering how much it would actually cost?
    And free breakfast is cool but where do you cook dinner instead of paying extra?

    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  21. Seriously, so awesome you found a solution that rocks, I love that karma is happening for you 😊

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you guys! When we were doing some remodeling and flooring we did this and my “friend” was actually envious and disrespectful. Every family needs to make choices for themselves ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL been there 😂 at least is wasn’t at 7 am 😂

    When I first got married, my parents used to travel for work and they lived in hotels for 2 years. They loved it (and we loved being able to go to new cities to visit my parents)

    ReplyDelete
  24. All I can say is ❤️❤️...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whiny and spoiled?? Hell no :) Sounds perfectly lovely to me and don't we all occasionally need a little pampering? Even if it's just hotel housekeeping. Enjoy it, and your family, before the next real move happens.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I actually might be doing this soon! We're finally selling the house... this should have happened YEARS ago, but my mom wouldn't do it. Of course she was the only one who was ever happy living here...

    I'm glad you were able to hold onto it, though. That you're leaving on your own terms, that you have another (brand new! bigger!) place to move on to. I couldn't imagine what it was like living in the house you lived at this whole time, but you always held onto it as a source of pride that you didn't have to uproot your kids from the only life they knew. But really, I hope they're enjoying this place as much as you are... and that you'll all enjoy the new house... think we'll get another tour when it's done?!

    And I totally missed the moving post, so my first thought was "oh shit, did the house flood again? And did The Boy Child do it?" Good to know that wasn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT!!

      There will definitely be another tour, and good gosh, if The Boy Child had flooded it again, you'd have found him for sale here. Ha!

      You are right, it's time to move on for me :) New house, new beginnings!

      Delete
  27. All I can say is ❤️❤️...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! Sooooo funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Omg I love this woman. I’m like cry laughing!!! Oh I have so much to look forward to in 1.5 months!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cannot believe I came across this post today! What a fabulous idea! I want to sell my house, really want to get the heck out of Dodge....just not sure where my new hometown will be yet. Often thought of selling, putting everything in storage and spending a few months in each potentially new hometown, then move on to the next one on my short list. Had no idea there were better rates for long term stays. Thank you for the terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Yes, I had no idea there were different rates, and was happy-shocked when I found out there was! If you decide to go for it, let me know how it works out!!! (P.S. many hotels you have to call to find out the extended rate; don't do it online)

      Delete
  31. Lots of people have to transition from hotel or motel to a home while they wait its much easier with little kids than older kids Id put money on it lol

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE LOVE LOVE this

    ReplyDelete
  33. Genuinely happy for you!! And glad that you found a nice, safe place! Also, this is a great idea and I am sure you will be helping someone else in a similar situation find something that works for them, too, so there's that- a public service!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Reading through this post I'm smiling from ear to ear. Congrats on the home sale (it's a pain isn't it??) and new house!! I love the idea of having a maid and all the amenities, but it's a little triggering for me. I'm happy that you're enjoying it and getting a little extra time with the little ones. <3

    ReplyDelete